Friday, February 17, 2012

$$$ for Gold-Part 2

Happy Friday loveleigh's! Yesterday I started talking about turning your old gold into cash. This past summer, I decided to look into it again. I went back through the cedar chest to see if there was anything else in there that might be of some value. I found some old wrist watches, pocket/hunter's case watches, silver dollars from the 1920's and some pins from WWII. Here are a few of the items:




My first stop was to Helzberg Diamonds. This is where my wedding set is from and I have always had a good experience every time I go in there and feel they are a trustworthy and reputable company. I took the rings in there, mainly just to see if I could find out a bit more about them. A few had stones, so I wanted to learn a little more about them. When you sell gold, they do not give you any money for the gemstones, just the gold, so make sure you take that into consideration. If you have gold that has diamonds or other gemstones in them, you might want to either remove the stones or sell the piece as jewelry rather than scrap. I took the rings in and found out one did have a diamond in it. It's not a big diamond, but I decided I definitely didn't want to sell it just for the gold.

After taking the jewelry to Helzberg's, I next had my Grandpa look through it (since it had been his wife's). Of the rings I had found, there was a white gold band in there. It looked like a wedding band, but I had no idea whose it had been. After showing the rings to my Grandpa, he told me this had been his original wedding ring from when he and my Grandma had gotten married! (He got remarried to a wonderful lady several years after my Grandma passed away, and had the diamonds from my Grandma's original wedding set remade into a ring for his right hand.)

So, my first piece of advice when selling (and this applies to selling anything really) is make sure you know what you have! Going to local stores, looking on the internet and asking relatives (if you have things that are old or have been in your family) are all great resources.

Come back for Part 3 for more of my gold selling journey :) Have a loveleigh weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment